Tuesday 14 October 2014

Quindell - Rumours and Their Logical Progressions

Good morning,

N.B. This is a speculative article until any RNS' have been released!



I'm very pleased with the Q3 results Quindell released yesterday morning! So pleased that I'm not going to bother discussing them, but instead focus on this piece of potential news or rumour (depending on what you want to believe):



http://www.cityam.com/1413248976/quindell-chairman-mulls-break-unlock-value



To quote the article: 



"Quindell has already been ap­proached with a £140m offer for part of its business that generates just four per cent of its profit, City A.M. understands."



Now, the term "City A.M. understands" possibly means that it was mentioned under the radar by the company or alternatively that they have a source somewhere within Quindell. This being said we cannot rule out falsehood - the source as we know so far is after all the media, who aren't generally known for telling the truth before telling a good story. 


In the event that this is true (and I suspect it may be, because I Tweeted the writer and got this reply), I would suggest that two points be tackled with this sudden cash inflow:



 

. I can’t. But the business division in question wouldn’t be of a dissimilar size to Quindell’s Connected Home unit


1. Perform some form of share buy-back


- If you split the £140m straight down the middle, Quindell would be able to buy back around 46.6 million shares at £1.50. This being said, I would imagine that as soon as this news was released they would end up paying a significant amount more per share, but it would still have the desired effect of scaring off those with short positions.



2. Fix the company's net cash position 


- Personally, I've never been a huge fan of this negative argument, because it seems to be used more in the way of a conspiracy theory that the company is actually run by a Bond villain rather than as an actual point against the company. 


- The company saw the cash-flow problem and they're fixing it - end of.


- My point here would be that the remaining £70m could just remain sat in the bank or used to pay off any overdrafts and debt. This being said, with money being so cheep at the moment the market would probably appreciate it being sat within a bank account for a while before debt begins to be paid off.


I think that what shareholders need now, is some form of official announcement either way regarding this rumour, even if it's not an acceptance of the deal, as this would provide a partial third party valuation, which I feel would help to inspire confidence in the company and in Mr Terry. All the above is my opinion - make of it what you will,



The Masked AIM Trader



P.S. This has been presented to the company as a potential idea.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks MB. Good analysis. So refreshing to read an article without snide innuendo aimed at QPP. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. It's lovely to know my work is appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Hi Morley. I read your blog regularly with interest. I don't mean to nitpick, but the overall visuals do your head in. The white text on black background is just brutal on the eyes. So much so that I actually come here with a certain amount of trepidation because I know the visual experience is so bad and even unsettling. I'm confident that I'm not the only one who thinks this and that you may just be unnecessarily and unwittingly restricting the number of visitors. Please consider changing the layout and colours of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NMcC2, thanks for taking the time to express that.

      I will sort all of that out today - I had never thought of that and I think it's a very good point!

      Cheers,

      Morley

      Delete
    2. All done. Anymore ideas on how I could improve the visual formatting or is this okay?

      Morley

      Delete
  3. Hi again,

    That's better. At least it can be read now without having to squint. :-) Thanks for making the changes. In general, all you need to do now is limit the typefaces and have the different blocks of text clearly differentiated with lots of visually friendly white space and bold headings. Single colour headings throughout is a must. Cheers and keep up the commentary on QPP.

    ReplyDelete