Saturday 16 August 2014

Stox App (beta) - A Review.

I'm normally not particularly interested in apps, but Stox caught my eye for three reasons:


1. It's aimed at teaching basic investing knowledge - a subject I'm particularly passionate about.


2. It looks pretty unique as far as educational apps on the subject go.


3. It has a beautiful Graphical User Interface (GUI) - something that men in their late teens and early twenties like myself really need to bother using any app.



Now, being in its beta stage, the app is obviously not finished, but of what I was able to play around with I was incredibly impressed!



I ran Stox on my Samsung S2 and I found it to run very smoothly and the "swipe" and "tap" UI effects were a great way to separate the app out into appropriate information sub-sections, which took you through the very basic ideas surrounding the stock market mechanisms. I particularly liked the way in which the app tested you on the completion of each section and then took you back to the relevant information if you made a mistake.



As a professional trader, I knew there was a danger that I would fall into the "this has too little information camp" regarding the app, so I tried to review this app as a novice and on doing so I actually felt that people new to the trading and investing world would really appreciate and benefit from the way in which the app uses very basic examples to relay information that has the potential to become very complicated when you begin to get technical.



I ought to warn readers now that I am both English and went to a grammar school and consequently may have a bias regarding my single criticism of the app, which was that it felt a little slow to give information - I'm a bit impatient and when I ask a question immediately want an answer. I just felt that the app was holding information just out of reach of the speed that I wanted to take it in at as a user, but I feel that this issue probably says more about me than the app itself! This could be improved by just reducing the time it takes for the "tap to continue" icon to appear, but I think that in reality most people aren't likely to see this as a real issue, especially if the users are actually members of the target audience (novice investors).



Overall, I felt that Stox has the potential when it comes fully live to continue to be both a highly informative and fun app for those who are taking their first steps into the world of investing and I look forward to testing the app further as it comes out of its beta stage.



For those interested the beta version of the app can be downloaded free on the Play Store for android devices:



https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.stox.app



All the best,


The Masked AIM Trader.

No comments:

Post a Comment