Wednesday 26 November 2014

Harry Potter - Understanding The Wizarding FOREX Markets

The world of Harry Potter has always fascinated me and as one of those children who grew up in the media era characterised by the resurgence of magical realism that Harry Potter and other such stories gave me, I feel privileged to think that this aspect of my life has given me a vibrant imagination.


Stepping over the fact that Harry Potter isn't real in the objective sense (I'm fully aware that it's magical realism), I've always felt that there is one primary issue in the Wizarding World of the Harry Potter franchise: their bizarre currency! 


I think that I have finally solved the inconsistencies within the currency however and thereby am able to disband the theories against J. K. Rowling's valuation of the currency against the Great British pound (GBP).


Wizarding Currency:


To give a brief overview to the system of Wizard money, the currency is split into three coin denominations: Galleons, Sickles and Knuts. There are 17 Sickles in 1 Galleon and 29 Knuts in 1 Sickle (and thus 493 Knuts in 1 Galleon). 

Now, according to J. K. Rowling, 1 Galleon is "About five Great British pounds, though the exchange rate varies!"

We know that there is a Foreign Currency Exchange (FOREX) within Gringotts (and thus the expected transfer of wealth between GBP and Wizarding currency), because of this statement and also because we know Hermione's parents have to exchange GBP there in the third book (presumable with which they will purchase school books).


The Issues as I see them:


I'm going to gloss over the assumption that one could logically make regarding the price of the raw commodities that the Wizarding currency is based off (gold, silver and bronze) and take it as red that this screaming error of value against the GBP is just that - an error. With gold currently priced at £24.37/g it seems highly illogical that a Galleon (if we assume it's about the size of a 50p coin - 8 grams) would be worth £194.96. I thereby conclude that the coins are simply coloured as gold, silver, or bronze - they can't logically be made of the solid metals anyway as a result of Gamp's first law of elemental transfiguration (if you can't summon money out of the air, then by extension you logically can't summon its main component).

Excluding the previous point as nonsensical, I the number one inherent flaw with their system of currency as stated by many observers of the series, is that in terms of purchasing parity verses the GBP, their currency is simply in another world (excuse the pun) to that of the Muggle world, even though there's a natural osmosis of individuals between the two worlds on a daily basis, which one would assume would cause a reasonable level of cross currency exchange and relative price comparisons between the two currencies.


To illustrate my point practically, if we assume that J. K. Rowling's rate of 1 Galleon being equal to about 5 GPB is true, then you would logically expect one Galleon to be able to purchase around five loaves of bread in the Wizardng World or maybe two cups of coffee, or one and a half pints of beer in a pub (where I live at least).

However, as fans of the franchise will know, A Beginners Guide to Transfiguration only costs 1 Galleon - no school book I ever purchased cost only £5! Moreover, Harry, Ron and Hermione pay only six Sickles for their three pints of butter beer in the fifth book in the series (about 60p a pint - or about 20% of the cost of a pint where I live) and Mrs Weasley in the second book is reported to only have 1 galleon in her Gringotts account (poor the Weasleys may be, but this seems a little too close to the Wisarding breadline)!


It may be that there is a logical reason for these inconsistencies; perhaps we are meant to assume that Gamp's Five Exceptions to Elemental Transfiguration discounts butter beer (I understand that food and Wizarding currency are two of the exceptions), or parchment. 

The logical argument in favour of J. K. Rowlings valuation would be to assume that there exists a natural inconsistency between the inflation rates of the two currencies, but I feel that this is an unrealistic and overly simplified explanation of the inconsistencies between the purchasing parity of GBP against Wizarding Currency.

Instead, I would put forward the idea that the existence of magic causes an inherent level of deflation within sub-sectors of the Wizarding economy (publishing, drinks, etc) in comparison to the Muggle economy, which is in turn the consequence for the wild variance and inconsistencies between Wizarding currency and GBP. 

Put against, the expected and reasonably consistent positive real rate of inflation in the Muggle world, it is thereby no surprise that there is such a disparity in certain aspects of Wizarding currency in its valuation against the GBP.


Or to quote Snape in How It Should Have Ended's video on Harry Potter: "Magic, duh!".


All the best,

The Masked Stock Trader






14 comments:

  1. An alternative, if more boring explanation is that Rowling has never really cared for the maths in the series. For example, the number of students at the school is either 280 or so or if you take Rowling's quote, 1000: http://www.beyondhogwarts.com/harry-potter/articles/doing-the-math-how-many-kids-are-at-hogwarts.html

    Either figure makes the entire magical population of the UK tiny of course.

    The Firebolt is worth maybe on the order of 1000 galleons. Harry is stated to have several thousand in his vault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in reality I think you're absolutely correct!

    I think my rant was really just an unfortunate illustration of my own unfortunate and perpetual search for monetary understanding of the world around me (inclusive of the Wizarding World).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also say you are absolutely right .
    please follow also my site - Epic Research

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. http://forex.wikia-plus.com/tag/dealer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and I'm glad you appreciate my work!

      Delete
  5. Now i am feeling very happy for your blog info. You share lot of valuable information in your blog. Your all information is very helpful for us. Today my friend said me about www.fibogroup.com he said me it is very helpful organization for them who wants to invest Forex trading. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now most of the people don't know about Forex trading. I think this blog is very helpful for them. Actually few days ago 24biz.biz said about your website then today i view your website. I am very satisfy for your good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A blog must be connected to the person in need. It is really important to understand the actual feel of such necessity and the essence of objective behind it. Author must give proper time to understand every topic before writing it.
    Bitcoin คือ

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a highly fascinating read. And I actually meant that.

    Best Trading Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. It become an attractive part of a blog when author uses indirect speech while writing a blog. It shows your creative mind as well as make your written essay different from others.
    ติว ielts ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete
  10. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    หุ้น forex คือ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! This blog post could not be written any better! Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I'll send this article to him. Pretty sure he'll have a very good read. I appreciate you for sharing!
    giường ngủ đẹp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy, I do believe your blog could possibly be having internet browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, great website!
    cây treo quần áo

    ReplyDelete